Have you ever experienced a WSUS server that’s too bloated and won’t operate? Troubleshooting WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) database bloat can help you optimize the performance of your WSUS server and save storage space. There are some best practices and some tools you can use to keep your server running smoothly. Find out more in this article.
Tips to Troubleshoot Your Server & Address Database Bloat
Here are tips to troubleshoot and address WSUS database bloat:
- Decline unnecessary updates
- Run WSUS cleanup wizard
- Setup automatic cleanup
- Remove old update sync logs
- Perform database maintenance
- Check for fragmentation
- Monitor disk space
- Run database cleanup scripts
- Do database backups
Always make sure to back up your WSUS database before performing any significant maintenance or cleanup operations. Additionally, consider testing any changes in a non-production environment before applying them to your production WSUS server to avoid potential issues or data loss.
Address Database Bloat with WAM
If all of that doesn’t work, or you want a simple solution, get WAM. WAM will help you keep your WSUS database clean and running smoothly – and prevent bloat issues. It’s the easiest way! WAM is the only WSUS maintenance solution you will ever need.
What it does:
- Shrink your WSUSContent folder’s size by declining superseded updates.
- Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
- Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database letting new ones flow in.
- Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database
- Run the server cleanup wizard.
- Run the recommended maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
- Email the report out to you, or save it to a file, or both.
The installer will guide you through the installation of the software with either the basic or advanced configuration and then start the -FirstRun.
Although WAM is super easy to set up and use, sometimes you need some extra support to get it going. Our included documentation should be looked at first as it answers most questions. However, if you encounter an error or issue while running WAM, our support team is available and will get back to you very quickly to point you in the right direction and answer your questions regarding WAM.
The simplest solution to your WSUS database bloat, as well as maintaining your WSUS server optimally, is a WAM subscription. It’s got a whole arsenal of features bundled into one invaluable tool.
At AJ Tek, our vision is to make IT simple and automated for other IT professionals. Our flagship product is WAM, WSUS Automated Maintenance. This system performs all of the tasks that a WSUS Administrator needs to do to maintain WSUS properly only leaving the approving of updates and reporting to the WSUS Administrator.